The Cell biology and Microbiology Practical Short Course is a specialist 4 week laboratory based course for children aged 11 upwards.
During the fun and educational sessions, children will learn about cells and unicellular organisms. The emphasis will be on the practical work with children learning new lab skills to carry out the laboratory activities, such as aseptic technique and slide preparation. Scroll down for details of what wil be covered in each session.
Each session is 90 minute long and will have some theory in the form of a short presentation followed by a range of activities and laboratory investigations to enhance learning. An informative Course Activity Booklet and a Certificate of Participation will be given to students. The course is organised and facilitated by a qualified teacher, a scientist & microbiologist.
£45 per student
The cost if £45 per student for the 4 week course.
More dates to follow.
What are cells?
• Prepare wet preps of plant & animal cells
• Observe your wet preps with microscopes
• Make comparisons between plant & animal cells
• Identify some live unicellular organisms
• Cell model making
• Extract DNA
• Your microbial flora & symbiosis
• Culturing microbes on a variety of specialist agars (part 1)
• Microbes in food – experiment with yeast
• Microbiology Discovery Box
• Culturing microbes on a variety of specialist agars (part 2)
• Identifying pathogens in a hospital lab
• Grow bacterial cultures using aseptic technique
• Nature’s antibiotics – the disk diffusion method (part 1)
• Nature’s antibiotics – the disk diffusion method (part 2)
• Stain bacteria using the Gram stain method
• Observe bacteria at 1000X magnification with oil immersion
• Differentiate bacteria according to their shape and arrangement