Practical Science for home-education
Practical science in Devon & the south west to support your child’s learning
Online, practical & fun science clubs delivered by a real life scientist and qualified teacher.
2) In-person clubs for ages 5-12 approx
3) Practical courses for ages 13+
Science Clubs for ages 5-12
We run fortnightly science clubs for ages 5-12ish, younger siblings are welcome to come. The new block starts at the beginning of Feb and we are into an engineering theme for this block. Topics are:
They are in 4 session blocks costing £40 per child (one session/fortnight)
Option to register for the British Science Association’s CREST Awards (+£5) when you book.
Book a session
Tiverton at Old Heathcoats Community Centre.
Mondays 1.15-2.30 on 31st Jan, 14th & 28th Feb & 14th March.
Barnstaple at the Early Nourishment Centre, Church Lane, nr pannier market/St Annes chapel.
Mondays 2.45-4pm on 31st Jan, 14th & 28th Feb & 14th March.
Bude at Parkhouse Centre.
Tuesdays 10-11.15 on 1st & 15th Feb, 1st & 15th March.
Okehampton at Pavilion Cafe.
Tuesdays 1.15-2.30 on 1st & 15th Feb, 1st & 15th March.
Plymouth at William Sutton Village Hall, Eggbuckland area.
Wednesdays 10.15-11.30 on 2nd & 16th Feb, 2nd & 9th March – note date change to fit around your trip out that day
Our home-ed clubs key features:
- Each session is 75 mins long, very hands-on and interactive, each session covers different topics in biology, chemistry & physics.
- Lots of hands-on exciting activities and experiments, with things to make & take home.
- Private FB group for sharing of additional resources linked to the topics and support.
- Suitable for primary aged children aged 5-12 approx.
- Topics are planned in advance.
- Costs £40 per block of 4 sessions.
- Children can be dropped off or parents/carers can stay.
- Option to register for the British Science Association’s Crest Awards (£5 one-off fee). Certificate received after completing 8 sessions. You can register here.
- Sessions are also valid for Children’s University Passports.
- Join our private Facebook group
Science for ages 13+
Classes being held in Okehampton, Tiverton & Barnstaple
in Barnstaple & Tiverton
Invisible Worlds is an exciting laboratory based microbiology short course for teens taught by a microbiologist, at Petroc College in Barnstaple – COME BACK FOR 2022 DATES.
In this lab-based course, students will learn many aspects of microbiology with an emphasis on practical work. They will learn new lab skills to carry out the laboratory activities, such as microscopy, streak plating, aseptic technique, gram staining, bacterial identification tests, plus their own investigation to test alternative antibiotics.
Scroll down for details of the microbiology topics that will be covered in each session.
Each session is 90 minute long and will have relevant theory followed by a range of microbiology science activities and laboratory investigations to enhance learning.
An informative Course Activity Booklet and a Certificate of Participation will be given to students
This is a one-off project based mini-course designed around the British Science Association’s Discovery Award.
The project “Antibiotics are becoming less effective due to antibiotic resistance. Your challenge is to find alternative antimicrobial compounds”
Introducing prokaryotes – what are bacteria and what is antibiotic resistance? Practise sampling, spreading & culturing bacteria. The disc diffusion technique.
Discuss results of our cultures from last time. Practise the disc diffusion technique, then prepare cultures using our own antimicrobial compounds.
RESEARCH AT HOME: explore how your alternative antimicrobial compounds work. How could it be used in an infection/given to patient? Is it safe to the host? Up-scaled?
First round of results for discussion, measuring zones of inhibition, recording results. Carry out further test as required. Microscopy of bacteria.
Final results and discussion, with presentations of what you found out. Certificates (if they have arrived, if not they’ll be posted)
Thank you for a fantastic week of science!! Jack has really enjoyed himself and will deffo be recommending. See you in March for the next club.
- Ruth’s science sessions have been wonderful for my children recently and they have all got so much from them. It really brings the fun of science to life for them and makes them enthusiastic about it. So much so that when my daughter had a day at school recently where they had to dress as what they would like to do when they are older she went as a scientist!!Actually we have been so impressed with the sessions that we booked Ruth for my daughters birthday party and the kids all had a ball. Ruth’s enthusiasm for the subject is infectious. I would highly recommend her sessions as well as the birthday parties! They are also amazing value for money.
Lots of fun, engaging activities and enough repetition of the sciency bit to make it stick. Thanks Ruth, we will be doing more of your classes for sure!
Each session had three really fun and engaging activities, well taught and explained. None of the activities were “duds” or time fillers and my daughter was inspired to follow up each session with further investigation. The sessions were well priced and we are sad they have come to an end
Love that home educators are deliberately catered for with daytime classes available, and Ruth is great at engaging with the children
My two sons have completed their first Crest Award and I can’t recommend Ruth highly enough! They have learnt so much, had incredible fun and blossomed! We LOVE LOVE LOVE Sciencedipity