Make amazing glowing liquid at home using the insides of a yellow highlighter pen!
This is so easy to do!
Extracting the fluorescent liquid from a highlighter pen to make glowing liquid is so easy, you should try it for an eye-opening science experiment.
We had a go at extracting fluorescein at home recently and we were amazed at how bright the fluorescent liquid was. The kids loved it, just pouring it into the containers was really satisfying. We wrote secret messages with it and drew pictures too, which looked awesome under UV light! Fluorescein from these pens is safe to handle too – win:win!
Lets see how we did it and watch the video…..
- 2 medium glass containers
- a yellow highlighter pen
- protection for work surface
- hand held UV blacklight (we have a UV lamp, but a torch worked too).
- Here’s how I extracted fluorescein from a highlighter pen:
- First I protected our work surfaces and put on gloves as this part was messy!
- Using pliers I broke open the highlighter pen, removed the cartridge and popped it into the glass with about 50ml of water and squeezed out the highlight pen ink into the water.
- When I was happy that I’d got enough ink out of the pen, I called in the kids!
- We switched on the blacklight and turned off the main light….and WOW! We had a lot of fun pour and playing with the fluorescein liquid n the UV lighting.
As you can see from the video we made some mess, but it was easy to clean up and left no stains.
If you tackle this activity at home you do so at your own risk. If you have as much fun as we did, feel free to share your pictures with us on Facebook.
You could try other colours of highlighter pen, but we found the yellow ones worked best as they have a good quantity of fluorescein.
Make glowing slime with your fluorescein!
Check out how to do it here!
If you try these activities at home you do so at your own risk.
You can also check out the workshops we have coming up in Devon, why not book on?
Bye for now