Practical Science for home-education
Practical science in Devon & the south west to support your child’s learning
1) Online Clubs
Frees sessions can be found here.
Online, practical & fun science clubs can be found here
We also offer 1-2-1 classes, click here to explore prices & the topics on offer
2) In-person Clubs
** UPDATE APRIL 2021 – BOOKINGS ARE OPEN **
Children’s activities can resume indoors now (see point 117 here), so bookings for your clubs are open starting at the end of April (subject to minimum numbers booked in)
Our practical science sessions are suitable for children aged 6-12, younger siblings are welcome too at a reduced fee and will share resources with their older sibling. The sessions are run either as a fortnightly club or as ad-hoc workshops depending on demand and distance from Sciencedipity’s HQ (North Devon).
Our fortnightly clubs are in these towns: Launceston, Exeter and Kingskerswell. Prices start at £10 per session, more details below in the Key Features.
Towns we’re visiting in 2021 for ad-hoc workshops after restrictions are lifted: Barnstaple, Taunton, Plymouth, Weston s.Mare, Yeovil, Exmouth, Okehampton. These are usually 2 hours long and price is around £15 per child.
Our fortnightly home-ed club’s key features are:
- Each session is 90 mins long, very hands-on and interactive, each session covers different topics in biology, chemistry & physics.
- Lots of hands-on exciting activities and experiments, with things to make & take home.
- Private FB group for sharing of additional resources linked to the topics and support.
- Suitable for primary aged children aged 6-12, younger siblings (4-5yo) are welcome to join in with their accompanying sibling at £5 each
- Topics are planned in advance – see below
- Costs £10 per session when you block book 5 sessions – (contact us to book this) or £12.50 per child per session if you don’t want to block book.
- Children can be dropped off or parents/carers can stay.
- Option to register for the British Science Association’s Crest Award (£5 one-off fee). Certificate received after completing 8 sessions. You can register here.
- Sessions are also valid for Children’s University Passports.
- Join our private Facebook group
Topics for April – June 2021
Book a session or Block Book for a discount
Launceston – Tuesdays 10.30-12
The Ambulance Hall, Westgate Street, Launceston, PL15 7AE
on these dates: 27/4, 11/5, 25/5, 8/6, 22/6, 6/7, 20/7
Tiverton – CANCELLED – Wednesdays 10.30 – 12
Old Heathcoat Community Centre, 81 King St, Tiverton EX16 5JJ
on these dates: 28/4, 12/5, 26/5, 9/6, 23/6, 7/7, 21/7
Exeter – Thursdays 10 – 11.30
Sylvania Community Hall, Exeter EX4 7DR
on these dates: 29/4 13/5, 27/5, 10/6, 24/6, 8/7, 22/7
Kingskerswell – Thursdays 1 – 2.30
Kingskerswell Public Hall, Newton Rd, Kingskerswell, Newton Abbot TQ12 5ES
on these dates: 29/4, 13/5, 27/5, 10/6, 24/6, 8/7, 22/7
Barnstaple – CANCELLED – Fridays 10 – 11.30
Barnstaple Library (Room 3B), Tuly Street, Barnstaple, EX31 1EL
on these dates: 30/4, 14/5, 28/5, 11/6, 25/6, 9/7, 23/7
Workshops – various locations (in Person)
These are likely to resume in 2021 once restrictions on numbers are quashed – details to follow.
Ruth from Sciencedipity offers tuition for older children in particular in Biology and Microbiology. She is a Biomedical Scientist & qualified teacher currently teaching part-time teaching at the local college as well as working in clinical molecular microbiology. Please get in touch to find out about 1-2-1 private lessons and group classes. Her Lab-based evening course should return in the spring (pending the pandemic situation).